Your writing assignment has two parts: part 1 is to write a poem, part 2 is to comment on other's poems.
Pick a poem that you like. Give us the poem title and page number. (It can be any poem in the book.) Then write a poem that imitates Creeley's style and his poetics. Pay particular attention to imitating his use of line and syntax.
Some of you may feel comfortable writing a poem, some of you may not. Don't stress out. Relax, jump in, and let yourself take some risks. The idea here isn't to write a "good" poem. (If that happens, so much the better, but don't worry about it. Instead, the idea is to gain insight into his poems through the experience of writing in his style.
Be sure to read, and comment on, everyone's poems. We want this Blog to be a support space where we can talk with one another.
Here is an example of another poet writing an imitation poem. This is a poem by William Carlos Williams. Williams is a generation older than Creeley, and Williams was one of Creeley's important influences. You can probably see the similarity in their style. And here is a series of imitations of Williams written by another poet, Kenneth Koch. Koch is Creeley's generation, and one of his friends.
Part 1: Creeley type poem enjoy. I am assuming I post this on here!
ReplyDeleteLake Day
All day at lake,
to clear think
In the middle, water
feeling wind and breeze
Waverunning. To escape
Reality - left
the brain. She
rode for miles,
and miles. Her
mind relaxed, and
felt free -
finally painless.
I think that it makes a big difference the way you said, "Her mind relaxed" not just that she relaxed. Had you implied that she relaxed as a whole I don't think it would have impacted the ending of the poem the way it did. I enjoyed it!
DeleteThanks!
DeletePart 2:
ReplyDeleteThe poem I have chosen this week to write about is the poem called Love on page 184. I chose this poem because of one word that stuck out, which was voluptuous. It is one of the longest words and the one word that hangs off in order to stick out. Creeley did a great choice with words because they are very hard sounding words. The words he uses like voluptuous, flesh, moisture, are very descriptive and it gives the poem flow as well. It is a poem that describes the emotion, the word itself, which is love. The way he wrote the poem was to concentrate on the words to describe love, and he did it well. By starting off with the small words like as, in, its and the last word is the word that sticks out like the second line “as the flesh.” His word choice just makes his poem great and the ending was with a bam. The title is love but in the end it ends with death. It is true though and his poem goes deep into the idea about love and how inevitable that people will die even if loved. It is not a complex poem but the words create so much imagery and emotion it almost feels complex at the end. Putting all these words like flesh, reassurance, and comfort into one poem creates a very nice sound and image. The words abstract and last rhyme which make me think of the word love in general. Overall the poem is great and it flows very well especially with the vocabulary choice.
I particularly enjoyed the poem "The Road" on page 255. This poem had a tone of sadness and loneliness to it. The title is great because of the way it portrays life as a road. It feels as if the speaker is literally feeling death as he is reaching the end of the road. He says things like "Because all had passed over / to wherever they go" giving us this picture of a lonely old man watching as all his friends pass away as he just "gets closer" to his death. I like the imagery he uses where he says "its a long way home, / this last walking" where we can literally picture him walking into death. Overall it is a pretty gloomy poem and he is so uncertain of what is to come and even scared, but I think it is an interesting way to view death.
ReplyDeleteMy poem...
A Life Taken by Adaline Haynes
A memory cannot always be enough,
but a goodbye wouldn’t help.
To look into the deep pools on your face
once more would be a shatter to my heart.
How to move on is no simple question
somehow, carefully, time mends the wound
but It can only glue the broken pieces not restore.
Broken love is the only real love
as I now choose to still love what is no more.
I reallly like the way you have the sentences broke up. I enjoyed the last two sentences a lot. Overall the poem is great!
DeleteI really love your poem! The way you wrote it is so true to how heartbreak feels. You especially captured my attention with your lines "once more would be to shatter my heart" and "It can only glue the broken pieces not restore". Great job!
DeleteI particularly enjoyed the poem “Chasing the Bird” on page 45. This was another poem that really hit home for me. I believe that a lot of people can relate to the poem as a whole especially once Creeley says, “Every night it is a little bit/ more difficult, a little/ harder…” I believe that everyone goes through some point in their life when they feel like that, so we can all relate.
ReplyDeleteMy Poem:
“The Cigarette”
I learned
from you,
That love can be
only temporary.
For me,
You were not good.
That, I know.
I burned my
throat just thinking
of those times.
There was such a way
of feeling alive with you.
But the more
I was around, you.
The harder it was
to breathe.
You filled my body,
With what, I thought
was good.
I was engulfed in
something, that I
did not know
was bad.
oh wow this was a great poem. I have smoked ciggs before, so I can relate. I really love the second to last stanza with the emphasis on "you"." Good job overall!
DeleteI love how you took the idea of a cigarette and applied it to a bad relationship. That idea is so on point and the way you brought it to life with your poem really spoke to me. The structure was very Creeley-like, and the way you did it was great!
DeletePage 137: "We'll die..." is a poem that is stuck on my brain. The use of italics drew me into this poem, as "possible" and "forever more" are phrases that suggest death as an opening, or at least a chance to consider all sorts of possibilities that one might have passed by within life. The title in quotation marks is one of several poems that are quotes, here it suggests the final words of somebody. A reader could find themselves wondering if people are truly gone when dead with the stanza "Die. Dead,/come alive".
ReplyDeleteOkay, here's a shot at imitation.
"The pie crust"
You do know how much
I savor
those spiced apples and crumbly crust
on such a cold
such a frigid day.
Smothered baby berries
you've baked in a steaming pastry
I know why my stomach grumbles
loudly, angrily
when we sup together.
better batter for the crust
I taste it
you giggle as some of the dough
is left on my nose
This is a really playful poem! I love the ideas my favorite line is better batter, it is awesome! I love that you used taste, and sup in the poem. Great job
DeletePar tone
ReplyDeleteMy poem: "Feet"
Once Up on a Time
These feet could take me off
To anywhere over and
Under the rainbow
If I could dream
It. But
Now
The
Path
Is
Lost
To me
The way, a line
Somebody drew
So that I
Could no longer
See my
Own
Way
My poem: "Sleep"
ReplyDeleteTake me,
Don't wake me.
Darkness filled
with images,
images that we
create, that we
make, that must
be fake.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI appreciated the way that the poem "Going To Bed" on page 72 provided the reader with a vividness that facilitated into mental imagery. I found myself watching it unfold such as is the case with a familiar story, as opposed to simply reading and acknowledging the poem as syntax; however the syntactical structure was appealing as well. The line breaks were done at regular intervals but allowed adequate separation between conjoining thoughts, resulting in a flowing scene which Creeley does well to capture a very specific mental repulsion.
ReplyDeleteThe luring despair sitting Idly
by waiting for a chance to strike
amidst moments of weakness
propelled by daily lives.
Day to day existence
wears, and tears
with linings of silver between
sleep broken by external means.
Pervasive colonies of pressures
cumulatively produced as assumed
necessity derails higher trails
of thinking forsaken as our view.
Despite despair and less than pay
further courage minds the way.
Original Poem: I Know A Man
ReplyDeleteI Know A Vegas
As I Vegas to my
friend, because I am
always in a mood to joust, -Robert I
Vegas, which was not his
name, the hopeful light of
Vegas surrounds us, what
can we do against
it? Nothing but allow it
to envelop us in its
warmth. Liquor, gambling and STD's.
Drive he Vegas, for Geezus sake, drive carefully
I'm not excited to die.
The poem that inspired me greatly was actually one we looked at in class, The Flower on page 73. With such vivid imagery, the poem really captured my attention. Here is my attempt at Creeley's style poetry:
ReplyDelete"In Dreams"
In dreaming I feel
like fire
that rages against
my second skin.
The flame is ceaseless,
consumes everything in
a wave of blue light,
burning lies.
Dreams tell me to run,
like this time,
like that time,
like this time.
I really enjoyed your metaphor for dream consciousness as being "my second skin". This along with other vivid imagery helped me to really watch the poem unfold similar to a short story.
DeleteI fell asleep and didn't upload it
ReplyDeletebut here is my poem based off of "As real as thinking...", Thinking, and Words
Lost
I am lost,
unknown to this
time – unknown to
this world.
I feel like there
is this huge hole,
like a black hole,
like I'm missing
something. Something unique
to me, to this time,
to this world,
something gone-
something lost.
Wait am I lost
or is something
I need lost,
but isn't that
the same thing.
Because I am me,
or so I think,
because I am
partially here...
But in reality
I am you
and you are me.
And we are
the universe
but if we are
that, than what
is lost, and is
it truly lost...
maybe its
Grey using Felica's due to technical difficulties
DeleteI really like the repetition in your poem, it really makes it resonate. Its a wonderful poem and it really does sound like one of Creeley's.
The poem that I really enjoyed was On Earth on page 318. I really like the simplicity of the poem. It wasn’t long but it was really deep. It really digs deep and made me think about the struggles of life. It just really made me think and go back and forth about what he was getting at. I really love the first stanza. “One’s here/ and there is still elsewhere/ along some road to hell/ where all is well—.” That really made me think of how it was when everyone that I had known were going their separate ways. Most of the people that I had seen for my whole life I could possibly never see again. I felt like when leaving to college the same way, definitely in a less depressing and final sense though. I really was struck how simple it was but it still touched me the most out of all the poems that we read. That is why I used this one to base mine off of.
ReplyDeleteLeaving
I hate to see
You leave for
I don’t know if I
Will ever see you.
Everyone is stretched far
And wide. We will see
So much but still,
So little
We will know.
Hopefully that change
The next time
We shall meet.
Sorry this is late, BUT I'm posting it anyway.
ReplyDeleteBased, loosely on 'Kitchen' p. 159.
The light blue surfaces gleam
in the light of late afternoon sun
shining through tall windows
to illuminate this new home.
Dust-free floors wait for dirty feet.
To bring warmth,
to bring care,
to bring humanity.
Sweeping this room
I want it to be
filled with life.
I really love the use of imagery in the first stanza. Repetition of to brings a nice flow to the poem as well. I love the use of illuminate as well! Great poem!
DeleteThis is also late, and I also am apologetic.
ReplyDeleteBased loosely off "The Sign Board" p. 79
I like the way you look at me:
I like the way you
Look at me.
I like
The way you are.
I’d like to tell you
“Come to me.”
But don’t, it’s
Much to far.
I satiate by
Your stare
In surfeit solemn
Silence.
Sit fat, grotesquely in
My chair.
Our Home
Left when you did.
This is Grey using Felica's due to technical difficulties...
ReplyDeleteHere is my Creely imitation poem,
When the lights go down, young and foolish
Need to get through this, the darkest of nights
Falling fearless so young and foolish
Warmth glowing through the lack of light
Hiding in your room when it all falls apart
Chasing shadows in a maze of words
Looking for a sign that we've gone too far
Lost the line in the haze, should we find it
Grey using Felicia's due to technical difficulties
ReplyDeleteI loved, "The Rain" on page 75. I love the simplicity of it, and how it's so profound. I really connected to it because it expresses a thought and feelings I have had before. The first stanza makes you believe he is literally talking about rain, rain which has been going on for what feels like forever and every time it slows down or stops it comes back with a vengeance. However when you get to the second stanza you realize the rain is figurative, it represents persistent unrelenting thoughts. He questions why he can't quiet his mind and just relax.
1. attenuate
ReplyDelete1
a time
a place
with you?
remotely
2
a moment
in case
someone next to you
happily
3
never time
here
for me
all for you
but
1
can i know
you or simply
hold your words
in my hand
to my face
like a shell
do i hear the ocean
living, breathing
or myself
trapped, resonating
in in this cavity
i attenuate
i
hear
now
alone
completely
Swimming Revised
ReplyDeleteFor Kory
There is so
Much to see from
Your eyes
And to mine they
Are prefect. I could
Get lost in their
Deepness and swim
Through your mind.
I wish to inhabit
Your mind,
Though I’m afraid you won’t
Want to inhabit
Mine.
It comes, It
ReplyDeleteGoes.
When it rains
It snows.
Mystic river's,
River's dam,
Kills flow.
Too many
Given.
opportunity seeks
disappointment peaks.
Best I can,
I do,
So I Do-
n't break.